How To Use PowerPoint
Doing a presentation, you either love it or you hate it. But what if I told you that if you use PowerPoint in the right way, standing in front of a big audience doesn’t have to be as bad as you think it is! PowerPoint is made to support you during your presentation, so if you do the following things, you know how to use PowerPoint!
Don’t Overdo It
The first tip on how to use PowerPoint in the right way is one of the most important things to consider when you’re making a powerpoint presentation. Imagine that you’re the one in the audience that’s sitting there and watching your presentation. Suddenly, there’s a slide which is filled completely with text, are you really going to read it? No, I don’t think so.
Instead of filling your whole presentation with text, put some statements in there, three or four are more than enough.
Design Design Design
I can not stress it enough, design is such an important thing when it comes to PowerPoint. They say that as a human being, you can only make the first impression once, well, the same goes for a PowerPoint presentation. Again picture yourself sitting in the audience, and the most ugly PowerPoint you’ve ever seen comes up on the screen. What do you think? Exactly, you’ve already decided what you think about the presentation, the first impression is made.
Here’s a list of some things that are absolutely horrible in a PowerPoint:
- Don’t put colors together that don’t match with each other, such as green and blue or white and yellow.
- Don’t put light text on a dark background.
- Don’t align in the center, align your text left of right. It looks way more professional.
- Don’t add too many effects. If things are flying in left, right and center, people in the audience don’t know what’s going on and they get distracted.
- Don’t add any sound effects to your presentation.If you do one of these things, you don’t know how to use PowerPoint in the right way, but that’s alright, you are at the right place.
Things That You Should Do
After telling you the things that you definitely shouldn’t do, here are some things that you definitely should do:
- Select a theme that fit’s your subject.
- Like I said in the first tip, keep it simple.
- Use custom shapes, I will explain custom shapes in the next tip.
- Add some color, but again, don’t overdo it by making your PowerPoint the representation of a rainbow.
Imagine you want to have a picture of your pet in your PowerPoint, but it doesn’t seem appropriate to set the picture in just a simple square form, instead, you want to set the picture in the shape of a heart, well, you can!
It’s simple, all you need to do are the following things:
- Select the image you want to crop.
- Go to the ‘Format’ tab that appears on the top right of your screen.
- Click on the arrow below ‘Crob’.
- Select ‘Crop to shape’ and select the shape that you want.
I bet most of the people are familiar with the Ctrl + Z and the Ctrl + Z shortcuts. You’re not? No Problem! Check out number 1 on our list of Top 10 Technologies To Improve Your Life. But did you know that if you press the B or the W key on your keyboard while in presentation mode, your whole screen turns either black or white? This can be very useful if you want to draw the attention to you. This are some other useful keyboard shortcuts to use:
|Insert new slide||Ctrl + M|
|Duplicate a selected shape||Ctrl + D|
|Group objects||Ctrl + G|
|Find text||Ctrl + F|
|Left align or right align a paragraph||Ctrl + R or Ctrl + L|
We believe that if you use the tips we’ve listed in this article, you will definitely improve your PowerPoint presentations and you don’t have to worry that much about giving a presentation. You’re PowerPoint is going to be fine, and so are you!
You don’t agree with some of these points or want to add something? Let us know in the comment section!